- Read your word books. If you know all of your words focus on the High frequency words in your Pupil Support Book.
- Read and write the following high frequency words on the word grid you got in your Homework pack: - of, on, me, this, can.
- Continue to read your reading books. On P1 homepage click on link to Collins Big Cat to access the reading books we use in school, free of charge.
- Remember to use 'Inference' when discussing books with an adult. Plus the adult helping you with your reading can use 'Guided Reading Questions: Level 1' / 'Reading Strategies' in your Pupil Support Book. Try to read with expression, noting punctuation marks.
Other activities to carry out this week.
NEW LETTER / SOUND: q / qu
Remember to say this: 'q and u stick like glue' - thats how it makes the sound!
On P1 homepage click on Useful Links to access 'Starfall' 'Letter Formation' / 'Jolly Phonics' websites to reinforce letter formation, letter sounds and words. If you have the 'Hairy Letters' app, use it too.
- Use your finger to write these letters in the air.
- Use your finger to write these letters on someones back.
- If you have shaving foam at home, ask an adult to put it on the table and write your letters in it - great fun!
- If you have chalk, go outside and write the letters.
- When you go outside to play try to gather some small twigs and sticks / then make the letters. Try to make them with little stones as well. Take some photos!
- Try to paint the letters.
- Use your plain whiteboard/grid to practise writing the letter q / then 'qu'. Take a different day to write each one. Monday 'q', Tuesday, 'qu'. Say the letter name and the sound as you write.
- Find the letters in books, in your picture dictionary etc.
- Complete the 'qu' sheet you got in your homework pack.
- Use your picture dictionary to find pictures beginning with 'qu'. In your Literacy book draw and label three pictures for example 'quilt' 'queen' 'quail'. Write simple sentences to go with your pictures. Use the key words 'This is a....'. Examples - This is a quilt. This is a queen. This is a quail. Remember to start each sentence with a capital letter, use finger spaces between each word and finish with a full stop. Read your sentences to an adult. Give yourself a star!
SOUNDS, WORDS AND PICTURES
- Check your homework pack for the sheet containing the letter sounds 's a t p i n' Cut these up, plus the words and pictures to match. Keep the rest of your sounds etc, for future weeks.
- If possible stick the sounds, words and pictures onto card but don't worry if you can't.
- Play the following games: (on different days of the week)
- Set out the 6 letter sounds and 6 picture cards. Adult to say the sound. Child to find the sound and match to appropriate picture.
- Set out the 6 letter sounds and 6 words. Adult to read the word. Child to find the initial sound and match to the word.
- Set out all the letter sounds, words and pictures. Child to attempt to read words and match to pictures and initial sounds.
- Pairs Game 1 - Set the 6 letter sounds and 6 picture cards upside down on the table in two different piles. Choose a sound card and a picture card to see if they match. Continue until all cards used.
- Pairs Game 2 - Set the 6 letter sounds and 6 word cards upside down on the table in two different piles. Choose a sound card and a word card to see if they match. Continue until all cards used.
- Pairs Game 3 - Set the 6 letter sounds, 6 picture cards and the 6 word cards upside down on the table in three different piles. Choose a sound card, a picture card and a word card to see if they match. Continue until all cards used.
Give yourself a star!
PLEASE KEEP YOUR CARDS SAFE. YOU WILL NEED THEM FOR FUTURE TASKS. THANK YOU.
Please see below for a selection of 'qu' sheets. No need to print them. Thank you.